Another thing I’m noticing in the latina tag is the frequency of the “crazy angry latina girlfriend” memes and its highly gross and ableist. like can we stop that. We are not these jealous, abusive, controlling partners, and to potray us as such is racist as hell. Stop.
Stop fetishizing and laughing at abuse because you find the idea of a hot angry latina is ”so hot” stop it
[Image set: three photos of young light-skinned women playing instruments at a show. The top photo is of a singer with a microphone standing in front of crowd, the second photos is of the bass player and drummer, and the third photo is of the guitarist.]
DESTRUYE Y HUYE, LONG BEACH
English artist Chris Wood creates glass wall-panels that showcase maze-like structures that give the illusion of depth and brilliance through the glass’ interaction with natural and artificial light sources. The artist’s usage of small, reflective, dichroic (meaning “two color”) pieces of glass lets her easily create complex patterns of light and shade; the colors and textures that derive from these structures change in accordance to the position of the viewer and the angle of the light source, making her work an ever-changing, almost magical and intriguing phenomenon. Read more on Hi-Fructose.
THE TRUTH OF NATIVE AMERICANS BEFORE THE GENOCIDE
Gotta put this on blast.
We never needed a white savior.
I hate this country.
What I learned from this video:
- 100 million Native Americans died at the hands of white colonists
- Instead of planting crops the colonists spent their days digging random holes in the ground looking for gold. They started starving and dug up Indian corpses to eat. They took Indian prisoners and forced them to teach the colonists how to farm
- Native Americans had massive cities with tens of thousands of well constructed houses, intricate water canals and large merchant areas.
- The Native Americans used soaps, deodorants and breath sweeteners while colonists never bathed or even took of their clothes
- There was a delousing policy with the mantra Nits create Lice; nits being Native American babies, so their goal was to kill every Indian, including babies
- In the 1700’s 80% of the Federal Budget went towards eradicating the Native American population so they could take their developed farmland
- Colonists leaders went town after town killing men women and children under the approval of George Washington
- "Pursue Indians to extermination" -Thomas Jefferson
- California governor (1849-1851): “extermination must continue to be waged until the Indian becomes extinct”
The main factor which prevented Native American extinction was the fact they were used for slave labor. The most prized Native Americans were young girls who were said to be valued for labor and lust (that one white dude in your ethnic studies class that says he’s 1/36th Cherokee?)
In modern times children were forced into Indian Boarding Schools whose goal was to “Kill the Indian in them”. It was federal policy. They were beaten if they used their native tongue, they were forced to dress and style their hair like whites
This country was literally built on terrorism and mass murder. White people are savage terrorists.
Until, this is taught in schools everywhere- “history class” is merely a racism propaganda course.
i need your help! a friend and i have decided to start a zine devoted to how PoC identities overlap with being nonbinary/queer. being mixed race, queer, and nb i’ve always felt a lot of discomfort and inbetweenness so i wanna start a project that focuses on those feelings! most preferred would be other nonbinary queer folks but twoc and tmoc who are queer will also be accepted in the project. this is intended to be a safe space to share experiences.
what i need from you is!
- pieces written about your feelings about how your race and gender identity overlap (ie concepts of gender within your own culture, or feelings of not belonging/having to choose, anything you’d like!)
- pictures? if you want of yourself that you feel capture your identity
- pieces about specific issues faced by queer n trans poc like acceptance in your community, passing while non-white, finding representation, etc!!
- basically anything you’d like to see in a zine about these overlapping identities, and please spread this post so i can get the contributions i need to get started!!
initially hard copies of the zine will probably just be distributed around my college campus, but if this actually starts to go somewhere and we can get donations started at some point in the future maybe i’ll sell hard copies online? who knows but yeah please spread the word and submit your stories and thoughts and feelings and a little about yourself to accompany your submissions.
thank u love u all!!!!!
okay i just re-read this and wanted to clarify/expand based on the responses i’ve already gotten!
welcome to participate in this project are poc who identify as queer, trans, or both! the project will be most centered around nb queer people, but even if you’re cis and queer or of a binary trans identity you’re welcome to contribute. also!! all forms of art are accepted as submissions as long as they are in some way linked to identity, meaning poetry, photography, and visual art are all really cool contributions we’re receptive to. y’all rock and thank you so much for getting excited about this w me :-)
[Image: a photograph of four young black girls who are holding up signs that say “Party City please bring Tiana back”.]
My brother sent me a picture of a few young girls protesting outside of Party City in Harlem, today. They want Princess Tiana back.
Amazing! “Kids don’t see racial differences.” “Tiana is available online only” You go girls!!!
"Representation doesn’t matter."
"Kids don’t see race."
These girls just proved you all wrong.